When purchasing a columbarium, there are a number of important factors that should be carefully considered prior to making a final decision. The following points may serve as a guideline to help you better plan for your project and stay on budget.
- Avoid purchasing too many niches at once. Empty niches represent your organization’s cash tied up in inventory. If at all possible, try to size your unit to be completely filled within 3 to 4 years. Use Sunset’s Columbarium Calculator as a useful tool to help you with this decision.
- The columbarium can add significant artistic value to your property and your community. The objective is to wherever possible create a beautiful park and columbaria that encourages people to pay money for their loved ones to be there and to not simply scatter their ashes. Your money is well spent investing in style.
- The two most expensive components of the columbarium are typically the roof and base. Thus the more niches you can fit between these two components, the lower your per niche cost will be.
This implies that:
- Two-sided niches are more cost efficient than a single-sided unit.
- Higher columbaria with more rows of niches have a lower per niche cost than a smaller version with less rows.
- Cylindrical-shaped columbaria without decorative domes and/or moldings can help reduce the cost per niche.